CHEYENNE, Wyo. (KGWN) The conversation will continue in Cheyenne about banning e-cigarettes and vaping in public places. Public comment was heard from the Cheyenne Police Department, a vapor shop owner, some middle school students, and others.
The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network advocates for 100 percent smoke-free environments and had a representative comment at the meeting.
“We don’t believe anybody should work in an environment where their health is put in danger and e-cigarettes are the new product that’s out there that we need to protect folks from,” said Jason Mincer, Wyoming Government Relations Director, The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network.
Two Carey Junior High School students voiced their thoughts during the council meeting as well.
“We need the adults in this room to set an example that vaping is just as unhealthy as cigarettes and we don’t want them in public,” said Olivia, an incoming 8th grader.
One local school principal spoke and described the situation as a rampant problem that is getting worse.
“It’s not only a problem out in the community for adults but it’s also reaching out to our kids, our underage kids that should not be doing this and it’s a problem we’ve been trying to tackle,” said Nick Vaughn, principal of Poder Secondary School. “We’ve recently hired a social worker to help families with their kids who are unfortunately already addicted to this.”
The owner of The Wyoming Vapor Company explained that he thinks the decision to allow vaping should be left to the businesses.
“There have been several studies showing that secondhand vapor has no measurable effect on indoor air quality,” said Jason Magnuson, owner of The Wyoming Vapor Company. “We encourage our customers and fellow vapors to be courteous and respectful to those around us and I feel that individual business owners should be allowed to make the decision to either allow or prohibit vaping in their own business.”
The final vote will be at the next council meeting on Monday, Aug. 26 at 6 p.m. in the Municipal Building.