The Wyoming Breast Cancer Initiative (WBCI) has a mission to increase breast cancer awareness and prevention across Wyoming. Since 2016, the WBCI raises funds through various statewide volunteer-led events, that are then granted into community breast cancer organizations and into a statewide early detection voucher program.
USAF / Tiffany Trojca / MGN
Funds raised in Wyoming, stay in Wyoming.
WBCI partners with hospitals, public health organizations, and other breast cancer support groups to meet the specific needs of Wyoming. Wyoming is currently 48th in the nation for breast health screening due to remote medical care access, socioeconomic needs, and cultural barriers. Early detection increases survivorship, decreases late stage diagnosis, and decreases costs to Wyoming for their uninsured or underinsured. WBCI is committed to help fill the gap to promote this life-saving cause!
Grant dollars target 4 areas of need:
- Increase Education/Advocacy
- Supplement Costs for Early Detection Screening and Diagnostic Services
- Patient Navigation (Prosthetics, Transportation, Etc.)
- Survivor and Their Family Recognition and Support (mental health, post-treatment health)
Entering 4th year, we have granted over $300,000 and granted 41 programs in all 23 counties across Wyoming.
Funds granted into Wyoming have supported:
- 2126 Clinical Breast Exams, Screening or Diagnostic Mammograms, or Ultrasounds
- 8 Women Diagnosed with Breast Cancer Through the Screens
- >70 Women Were Fitted with a Bra and Prosthetic; Funds Paid for the Certification of the Fitter
- 10 Awareness and Celebration Events
2019 remaining events –Aug 10 in Cheyenne.
- PRR Cheyenne – Supreme Court Lawn, registration starts at 7:00 am
- Survivor Celebration at 7:300
- Special MC by Senator John and Bobbi Barrasso
- Free breakfast provided by McDonalds
Grant applications for 2020 will open August 1 and close October 31, 2019. Info will be available on WBCI website. Grants will be awarded before December 2018.
Email for information or to volunteer at email@example.com or go to the website www.wyomingbreastcancer.org