Cheyenne Fire Rescue reminds residents to be safe during impending blizzard
Due to impending blizzard conditions in southeast Wyoming on Wednesday, March 13 Cheyenne Fire Rescue Chief Greg Hoggatt reminds residents to be safe during the storm.
“The best way to stay safe is to stay home,” said Hoggatt.
The City of Cheyenne has announced a complete closure of non-emergency offices for Wednesday, March 13. This includes staff at the Board of Public Utilities. The Cheyenne Transit Program will not be operating.
Here are some safety tips from Cheyenne Fire Rescue:
- Stay aware of winter weather. Listen to the television or radio for updates. Watch for bulletins online.
- Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room. Turn them off when you go to bed.
- Be ready if the heat stops working. Use extra layers of clothes and blankets to stay warm. If you use an emergency heat source, keep anything that can burn at least three feet away.
- Be ready in case the power goes out. Have flashlights on hand. Also have battery-powered lighting and fresh batteries. Never use candles.
- Generators should be used outdoors. Keep them away from windows and doors. Do not run a generator inside your garage, even if the door is open.
- Check on neighbors. Check on others who may need help.
- Only go outside if it is necessary.
After the storm passes:
- Clear driveway and front walk of ice and snow, this will provide easy access to your home.
- Clear three feet around a fire hydrant if you have one next to your home.
- Make sure your house number can be seen from the street.
- Avoid downed powerlines.
- Be smart, be safe.