Apartment Complex Fire Cause Is Accidental; Building/Content Damage Estimated At $60,308.

Cheyenne Fire Rescue participates in an exercise at the Cheyenne Regional Medical Center in Cheyenne, Wyoming on July 8, 2019.
By  | 

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (Wyoming News Now) -- An investigation by Cheyenne Fire Rescue has determined that a fire at a multi-unit apartment complex late Sunday morning was accidental.
The cause of the fire is the result of unattended smoking material.
Cheyenne Fore Rescue was called out at 11:22 a.m. Sunday morning to the 2900 block of East 12 Street. When firefighters arrived on scene six minutes later, they found a first level room and apartment filled with flames and heavy smoke; they worked quickly to make sure the fire didn’t spread. No injuries were reported, but three occupants were evaluated.
A bedroom in the impacted apartment sustained heavy fire and smoke damage. There was also smoke damage in the remaining portion of the apartment and in the hallway. Damage to the apartment and complex along with contents is estimated at $60,308.
Byron Mathews, Cheyenne Fire Rescue Prevention Chief, offers these safety tips to smokers or anyone who lives with a smoker:
 Always smoke outside. Many things in your home can catch on fire if they touch something hot like a cigarette or ashes
 Put cigarettes out all the way. Properly dispose of them, do this every time
 Do not smoke after taking medicine that makes you tired. You may not be able to prevent or escape from a fire if you are sleepy
 Never smoke around medical oxygen. Medical oxygen can explode if a flame or spark is near
 Never smoke in bed. Mattresses and bedding can catch on fire easily
Cheyenne Fire Rescue reminds residents to make sure they have working smoke alarms in their residences. Get in the practice of testing your smoke alarm once a month to make sure they are in working order. If the smoke alarm is more than 10 years old, replace the entire unit
For more information about smoking safety or smoke alarms, call Cheyenne Fire Rescue at 307-637-6311.