Wyoming News Now Extended Sports Coverage: April 21

Published: Apr. 21, 2023 at 11:59 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (Wyoming News Now) - Kelly Walsh softball took home a sweep while across town Natrona got swept in their respective doubleheaders. South girls soccer fought to a draw with Campbell County, and the Lady Indians fell to Thunder Basin on the pitch.

It didn’t take long for the Lady Trojans to get on the board in their first game. They struck first and would lead six runs to none after the second inning. Their offense continued to pile on the runs, as Ashlyn Attaway and Olivia Smith both found RBI’s in the fourth inning. Kynlee Griffith also couldn’t be stopped on the mound, as she secured the shutout in the first game against the Lady Tigers 10-0. Kelly Walsh would go on to also take game two over Rock Springs 10-2.

Natrona and Green River traded runs early on in their first game, and by the bottom of the third the Lady Wolves had the 2-1 lead. The Fillies would start to rally in the third inning, as Ashlyn Hodge drove in a run to tie it up. After Kendra Meyer hit a ground ball to the pitcher, Hodge found herself in a pickle, but ultimately made it home and gave Natrona the 3-2 lead. A huge hit by Randi Malson helped Natrona gain another run, and by the end of the third they were up 5-2. They held the lead until the last inning, where Green River rallied and put up 6 unanswered runs which led to their victory over Natrona 9-5. The Lady Wolves would also take game two of the double header 7-2.

Despite some inclement weather, South and Campbell pushed through all 80 minutes of their contest. The game got off to a rocky start for South; Campbell largely dominated possession and gave themselves several opportunities to go up in the first half, but Gabby Cortez held them at bay to go into halftime at 0-0. Both teams scored twice out of the break, which culminated in a 2-2 draw as the final.

That snow continued to impact the Friday night slate, as Central and Thunder Basin battled through the elements. The #1 Bolts pressed early, with Central’s defense staving them off for a time. A goal off of a free kick by Thunder’s Sam Bonar broke things open, which would turn into a 3-0 lead at half. That’s where the game closed, as the Bolts got the win and the game was called after halftime.