Advertisement

Casper Fire-EMS reminding residents of winter home safety tips

A Casper Fire truck leaves Station 3.
A Casper Fire truck leaves Station 3.(Katie Reed)
Published: Nov. 19, 2021 at 2:59 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CASPER, Wyo. (Wyoming News Now) - Over half of all home heating fires across the nation will happen over the next three months. Casper Fire-EMS is reminding residents to be careful this holiday season.

“Make sure that any of your home heating equipment that you use is at least three feet from any flammable materials. Now that does specifically include the decorations you might put up for the holidays, and especially your Christmas trees,” said Andrew Sundell, a Public Information Officer for Casper Fire-EMS.

If you use a space heater in your home, officials say do not use extension cords with those. They should be plugged directly into an outlet. Roughly one third of all fires caused by decorations are caused by candles. Candles should be kept 12 inches away from all flammable materials. Casper Fire-EMS recommends using battery-operated candles. Officials say making sure your chimney is clean is also important.

“We do recommend that those are cleaned annually. One service that the Casper Fire Department does offer is that we have chimney brushes available to the public to come down and check out and you can clean your own chimney free of charge. Those are available at station one,” said Sundell.

If you don’t feel comfortable cleaning your chimney, Casper Fire-EMS recommends hiring a professional to ensure your home is safe.

Copyright 2021 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.