Improper use of space heater causes minor structure fire in Casper

(Casper Fire-EMS)
Published: Oct. 19, 2021 at 5:33 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CASPER, Wyo. (PRESS RELEASE) - At approximately 9:12 p.m. Monday, Casper Fire-EMS units were dispatched to a reported structure fire in the 900 block of W. 11th Street in Casper.

First arriving units noted smoke, heat, and melted siding/skirting on one exterior corner of the structure. One unit was able to quickly ensure the fire was extinguished while another checked for any fire spread into the home and performed a search. One occupant was found inside the structure and escorted outside. The fire did not extend inside the home but ventilation was needed to clear smoke from the building.

The scene was completely under control within minutes of the first fire unit’s arrival. There were no injuries as a result of the fire.

Four engines, one rescue truck, one ladder truck, and the on duty Battalion Chief responded, along with an Investigator. Casper Fire-EMS also received assistance from the Casper Police Department, and Wyoming Medical Center.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental. An improperly used space heater ignited nearby combustibles.

Casper Fire-EMS would like to remind everyone that all forms of heating equipment need treated with caution and should be used in accordance with manufactures’ recommendations. Please ensure all heating equipment has necessary safety shut offs and is clear of any combustible material. Also, extension cords should never be used for a permanent power source. Thank you for your safety conscious mindsets and diligent fire prevention.

Copyright 2021 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.