Advertisement

Cause determined in Casper deadly fire

(123RF)
Published: Sep. 9, 2021 at 4:47 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CASPER, Wyo. (PRESS RELEASE) - Fire investigators with Casper Fire-EMS have determined the cause of a fatal fire that occurred Wednesday, September 8, on East Second Street in Casper.

Investigators have determined the cause of the fire to be an overloaded extension cord. Heat from excessive load on the cord is believed to have ignited the fire. The fire was accidental, firefighters said.

The Casper Police Department assisted Casper Fire-EMS to investigate. Officers created a perimeter to create space for fire crews to safely arrive and respond.

It was later determined there were two adults inside the home at the time the emergency call was made. One adult was able to escape prior to emergency crews arriving. The other adult was found inside the home and immediately transported to a local hospital where the individual was pronounced deceased.

At this time, no criminal activity is suspected, according to police.

Casper Fire-EMS would like to remind residents of the proper use of extension cords. They are only intended for temporary use. Never use them for long term. Instead, have appropriate wiring installed by a licensed electrician for permanent use. Never supply more electric devices with an extension cord than the capacity it is designed for. Excessive current draw will cause heat buildup and potentially cause a fire. Additionally, install and maintain smoke alarms in your home. This is especially important outside of sleeping areas. Once installed, change batteries regularly for proper operation. If you need help with smoke alarms or need one installed, call 235-8222.

Copyright 2021 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.