Advertisement

Firefighters battle north Casper fire in bitter cold temperatures

(KFYR-TV)
Published: Feb. 12, 2021 at 6:23 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CASPER, Wyo. (PRESS RELEASE) - At 9:00 a.m. Friday, Casper Fire-EMS units were dispatched to the 100 Block of West “J” Street for a reported structure fire.

Reporting parties stated smoke was coming from the roof and back of a residence.

Firefighters arrived to find an unoccupied structure with smoke coming from the crawlspace, walls, and attic area. Firefighters accessed the crawlspace area and extinguished the fire despite challenges from the bitter cold temperatures.

Five units, the on-duty Battalion Chief, Chief Officers, and the on-call fire investigator responded to the incident. Officers with the Casper Police Department, an ambulance from Wyoming Medical Center also responded. Technicians from Rocky Mountain Power and Black Hills Energy also assisted at the scene.

The structure was determined to be vacant.

As of the time of this release, no injuries were reported related to this incident.

The cause of the fire was determined to be space heaters placed in close proximity to flammable materials. Persons working in the building reported attempting to use space heaters to thaw water pipes.

Casper Fire-EMS understands that bitter cold temperatures present challenges in heating living areas, and also challenges in keeping exposed or uninsulated pipes from freezing. Casper FireEMS encourages residents and property owners to keep water moving through their pipes by turning on faucets or spigots slightly. Slight water movement (approximately the width of a pencil tip) will prevent water in pipes from freezing. Never use a space heater, fuel oil heater, or other open flame to thaw pipes. If using a space heater in any circumstance, keep all flammable material at least 3 feet away in all directions – and turn off the space heater when you are not in the same room.

Copyright 2021 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.