Advertisement

Structure fire in Casper makes home temporarily uninhabitable

Fire Chief after injuries from May structure fire
Fire Chief after injuries from May structure fire(WCAX)
Published: Oct. 19, 2020 at 4:36 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (PRESS RELEASE) - At approximately 8:00 this morning, Casper Fire-EMS was dispatched to the 1300 block of Trojan Drive for a structure fire. Crews arrived to find a single family residence with smoke from a chimney chase and attic area. Firefighters exposed hidden void space around a fire place and found fire in the framing of the structure and fireplace.

Due to the complexity of the location of the fire in the hidden space, it took firefighters approximately 30 minutes to extinguish. Multiple occupants of the residence evacuated when the fire was discovered. None of the occupants or three pets were injured. Damage to the majority of the residence and contents is minimal and resulted from light smoke inside. The damage to the structure around the fireplace itself is extensive.

In order to access the fire in the void space, firefighters removed exterior walls and structural components. As a result, the occupants will not be able to immediately inhabit the residence. They have been provided assistance by the Red Cross.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental. Heat from the fireplace the previous night ignited the wood frame structure in the hidden space around it. The fire then burned into void space to the sides and in to a bedroom above.

In all, six CFEMS units responded along with fire investigators. They were assisted by Casper Police, Wyoming Medical Center, Black Hills Energy and Rocky Mountain Power. The American Red Cross also provided assistance.

As cold season is upon us, many will be utilizing fireplaces to provide heat and comfort. Casper Fire-EMS highly recommends cleaning and inspectionof fireplaces by a qualified technician. Inspection is a crucial component of assuring fireplace safety as it can identify any problems that could cause a fire or introduction of carbon monoxide into living areas. Also, make sure you have working smoke alarms in place to protect everyone in your home.

Copyright 2020 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.