Structure fire destroys home; authorities believe smoking materials to blame

Published: Oct. 15, 2020 at 12:14 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CASPER, Wyo. (Release) -At approximately 4:30 this morning, Casper Fire-EMS was called to a structure fire in the 300 block of North Forest Dr. Multiple callers indicated a large fire in a structure possibly extending into neighboring structures. First arriving firefighters found a well involved fire in a single wide mobile home. The heavy volume of fire was threatening nearby residences. Crews worked to extinguish the main fire while protecting the exposed structures. The fire was brought under control with limited damage to the surrounding homes.

The occupants of the residence safely evacuated prior to arrival of firefighters and were uninjured. One Casper firefighter was injured and was transported to Wyoming Medical Center as a precaution. The firefighter was treated and released. There were no other injuries reported.

Casper Fire-EMS investigators have determined the fire was accidental. Discarded smoking materials outside the residence were believed to have ignited organic materials. The fire extended to nearby combustibles and then the structure. Damage is significant and the residence is a total loss. Crews were able to salvage some personal belongings for the occupants. A cooperative effort of Wyoming Medical Center and Casper Fire-EMS provided occupants with important medical devices for the occupants that were lost in the fire.

In all six Casper Fire-EMS units responded along with one mutual aid engine from Evansville Fire-EMS. Crews were also assisted by For Immediate Release Wyoming Medical Center, Casper Police, The Red Cross, Rocky Mountain Power and Black Hills Energy.

This fire is one of many that have occurred in recent months in Casper. The trend is alarming as damage from these fires has been significant. We strongly urge homeowners to use caution when discarding smoking materials. Discard smoking materials ONLY in nonflammable containers such as a metal container with water and a lid. Never discard smoking materials on the ground as they can and do cause fires. Also, never discard smoking materials in potted plants or other organic materials. As windy season ramps up on us, the danger of this fire becomes more prevalent. Please help us share this message and let’s stop this fire from occurring in our community!

Copyright 2020 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.