Advertisement

Fire in the Rotary Park area caused by an electrical spark

The visible burn scar from a Sept. 5 fire caused by an electric spark
The visible burn scar from a Sept. 5 fire caused by an electric spark(Bobbee Russell)
Published: Sep. 22, 2020 at 6:07 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CASPER, Wyo. (Wyoming News Now) - The fire on Sept. 5 that occurred in the area of Rotary Park was caused by an electrical wire. Mark Cornell, the Investigator for Evansville, said it was caused by a wellhead in the ground.

“The wires went across the top of that they were against the metal wellhead and wore through where the positive was able to touch the negative side which caused the spark,” Cornett said.

The fire occurred on Sept. 5. The hot weather, dry grass and breeze helped the flames climb up a hill. Cornell adds several Natrona County agencies and the Bureau of Land Management helped with the fire.

They used a crew and a helicopter to get the front edge of the fire out. Cornett adds the best way to prevent a fire like this is to install wires correctly.

“The best way to do that is getting an inspection from a professional to make sure things are where they should be,” Cornett said.

He added fires started from electrical wires are common.

Copyright 2020 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News