Time to get your water pipes in gear when cold weather appears
CHEYENNE, Wyo. (PRESS RELEASE) -Many homeowners face the expense and inconvenience of frozen water pipes. Don’t be one of them as Cheyenne’s weather forecast dips to freezing next week by following these tips:
• Know the location of your water shut-off valve and test it regularly.
• Insulate pipe. Any pipes that are vulnerable to the cold or caused problems before are the ones to insulate.
• Disconnect, drain and store all garden hoses. This will allow water to drain from the pipe; otherwise a single hard, overnight freeze can burst either the outdoor spigot and/or the pipe it’s connected to.
• If you are not ready to winterize your irrigation system, temporary shut off the water supply to the sprinkler system and insulate your sprinkler backflow device to avoid cracks and leaks.
• Drain outdoor faucets and exposed pipes.
If you need assistance locating the main water valve or shutting off water to a building, please call the Water Department at 307-637-6471. Keep warm and prepare your home for cold weather.
Copyright 2020 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.